May 21, 2009

"It's Hell of a Place to Lose a Cow"

The next day we went first to the Coral Canyon, where you find huge dunes of red sand in the middle of a valley. We were lucky to be early - so we could enjoy the great view - does dunes are quite big and look really good with the rocks and trees around. Unfortunately it is not only a great view, but part of it is also used by offroad junkies. I really liked what they where doing on the machines, but I would have liked it more, if they just piled up sand on a parking lot and do their stuff there.



We continued to Bryce Canyon - whenever you are going to Arizona/Utah don't miss it, this place is just amazing.



The rock formation here is called "Thor's Hammer" and is part of the amphitheater.


On the planes is a little town called "Tropicana" (i think) and the guy who settled close to the canyon was E.Bryce, who built wooden roads, and had a farm. The town folks soon called the place Bryce Canyon, and the meaning of his citation "It's Hell of a Place to Lose a Cow" is pretty obvious - it's the most beautiful and unearthy Labyrinth I've ever seen!


Ahja and did I say I was lucky with wildlife? You think the Chipmunk above is awesome? No it's just cute! What you see here is not a deer but a Pronghorn and is the second fastest land animal. The wiki-article says 70km/hr, the book at the visitor center said 70mi/hr - whatever it is fast, and it waited until I got out of the car, and let me come close enough to get my shot.


Apparently our day was not long enough, so we went through Zion National Part to get back to Vegas. We stopped at a nice place - with a 1mi trail to overlook the canyon, and I whipped my comrades there to see the sunset. We only had a short moment for a couple of pictures and came back just before it went completely dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment